Sunday 19 June 2016

Isle Of Wight Festival Part Four - Are We Nearly Home Yet?

Sunday 12th June (cont.) 

We join our heroes in the post euphoria of the Hard Rock Stage gig. I was eyeing Ross' amp warily when we were informed there was a little buggy to take all the gear back to the cars. Oh the relief. There was a cocktail bar with deckchairs and hammocks next to the stage all overlooking the River Medina which looked way more appealing than amp carrying. 

I caught some of Apollo Junction but was a bit gigged out. In the same way as The Struts at Tramlines 2014, Bang Bang Romeo had broken the festival for me. That set would take some following. Plus did I mention the cocktail bar and hammocks?

This is what happened: 





The cocktails were free for artists and crew as well. Why!? Why would you do that. I mean, thanks and all that but I paid for it later. Having sampled A Kind Of Magic and Gimme Honey, Iggy's Pop became the cocktail of choice. So laying in a hammock, sipping cocktails in the sun with my mates, having just watched the set of the weekend. It doesn't get much better. 



The Cribs were on the main stage but I was in a hammock, man. I wasn't moving. The chaps running the cocktail bar coveted my hat but as I pointed out, somewhat eloquently given the circumstances I thought, it was a fine adornment covering a somewhat dubious head and was going nowhere. 




We eventually moved to watch Paves on The Hard Rock Stage. This had to be done, hammock or no hammock. As Rich said after it was a show not just a performance. Doors comparisons are inevitable but also lazy. They're more much more than that. It's full on in your face rock, delivered with what can only be called nonchalant charisma. You simply can't ignore them. Check them out as soon as you possibly can. Another band destined for much bigger things. 



Back to the hammocks and more Iggy's Pop. We were in danger of never going anywhere else ever again. Paves joined the BBR posse for some much needed refreshment, the two drummers sharing a hammock. A drammock anyone? 



Tom is not just an astounding drummer, even while singer Luke is in danger of flattening his kit he's also an astoundingly nice guy. 

We eventually made a move, Ocean Colour Scene on The Main Stage. Moseley Shoals was pretty much my 90s soundtrack (sod Oasis) and this couldn't be missed.  When you can open your set with The Riverboat Song you've pretty much won already. Follow that with The Circle and, my favourite OCS song, Lining Your Pockets and we're entering delirium levels here. 



And so it went on, You've Got It Bad right up to set closers Hundred Mile High City and The Day We Caught The Train (possibly the best singalong all weekend). 

My opening line in pretty much every conversation I had all weekend was either 'I had heart surgery last year' or 'Yeah well I saw Queen with Freddie in '86', More often than not a combination of the two. I'd have punched me eventually. I know people who slate Queen (I have done myself for political reasons) but you can't deny their output. But, having seen them with Freddie Mercury in '86 (I may have mentioned that) I was in two minds as to whether to watch them with Adam Lambert or head over to The Big Top for The Wonder Stuff. I was enjoying the company so much though that I stuck with Queen.

What they do now is a very fine line between  genuine rock Gods and a tribute band. They get away with it. Just. Having Freddie on the big screen dueting with Brian May for Love Of My Life is an excellent and emotional touch. Likewise the image of David Bowie as Under Pressure kicks in.



Adam Lambert is an excellent singer with great stage presence. As he says there can only ever be one Freddie Mercury and it's an honour to sing these songs with these two legends. Roger Taylor takes lead vocals on A Kind Of Magic and even has a drum duet with his son. When Brian May's guitar solo kicks in I know from experience I have time to get to the toilet and the bar and be back before the next tune kicks in. I do, just in time for Tie Your Mother Down, Bohemian Rhapsody, Radio Ga Ga, We Will Rock You and finisher We Are The Champions. They can't really fail.  

We're not done yet. Main Stage was finished but we still had Feeder at The Big Top. This is were it all goes wrong for me. I lost everyone. I think I'd gone to the bar. Big Top was heaving so no chance of finding them. I watched Feeder from the back of the tent, I remember Buck Rogers but little else. Everything was going a tad wobbly and the next I remember is lying half in and out of my tent. Sam nudged me at one point to get in my tent. My reply was gnnnrrrraaaghup. Holly Pocket woke me at one point to go partying. Again my reply was just a noise. Joel reliably informs me that I did get up and walked past him at one point only to return an hour later and resume my foetal position almost in my tent. 

Monday 13th June

I awoke in my tent, in my sleeping bag but have no recollection of getting there. At 48 maybe I should stop trying to party with the 20 year olds. Nah, sod that. Sam had found a staff party apparently and spoke constantly of Andy Treacey and the BBR T-shirt. Ross and Katrina had to leave early with the car full of gear (all part of the same logistical nightmare that lead to us leaving late on the Friday). Ellen got back to her tent after they'd left. That is how you party.  

The minibus loaded with people was booked on the 4pm ferry so plenty of time to stare at showers then opt for coffee. We got packed up and headed off to find a pub lunch. Ross was having a nightmare journey having broken down and there were phone calls a plenty trying to arrange to get people and gear in the right place in about 8 hours time. My brain wasn't up to that amount of work. Ellen's JD weekend was taking it's toll.



Fragile doesn't cover it. A beer on the ferry had the opposite of the desired effect. Credit to Keith for driving all that way and Rich again for the navigation skills when basically we all felt like this:



So that was pretty much it. Glastonbury '89 was the best festival I'd ever been to. This was better. The perfect size, so friendly, incredibly helpful staff and just a seriously good time basically. 

It was made all the better by my fellow travellers:

Starsie, Rich, Ross and Joel - Bang Bang Romeo - destined for Main Stage and more. (Credit to Joel for surviving the weekend despite his skin colour being that of a sheet of glass by Monday morning). Thank you so much for inviting me. It was an honour to share this amazing time. 

Sam: A friend for life and just great company. Organised when it mattered.

Holly Pocket: A small ball of energetic fun (also had the best dress of the festival). Apologies for getting the nickname wrong.

Katrina: Mrs. Cameron (to be) who has a knack of looking stunning at 8am despite the excesses of the night before.

Ellen: Photographer extraordinaire and a party animal up there with the best.

Keith: Manager and despite the stresses brought it all together. Genuinely and unnervingly funny.  

TV's Chris Walker: Always a joy to be around. Nearly left his wine in the dog kennel. 

Charlotte: (Mrs. Stars.) Had an absolute blast throwing shapes together. Love you!!! :-)

I should also mention Ross who travelled down with us. He was DJing at This Feeling Friday and Saturday before heading off to France. I berated him for playing Mr. Brightside straight after Hidden Charms even though he wasn't DJing at the time. Apologies.

And the film crew Gary and Lewis who I barely spoke to cos they were always filming!

It's been emotional. Let's do it again.




No comments:

Post a Comment