Friday 30 June 2017

Isle Of Wight Festival 2017 - Part Five - Broken


Sunday 10th June

So fully 20 days after the festival finished we come to the final instalment. To any prospective employers out there I'm usually a tad more efficient than this. In my defence (again) I've attended a wedding followed by the mightiest of hangovers, been to a Dropkick Murphys gig, wrote a review and been fitted for reading glasses (is fitted the right word? At least I can read this waffle I write now). So lets see how much IOW stuff I can remember.

Two Bang Bang Romeo sets today but first up was Heavy Suns down at This Feeling. The band nearly didn't make it after a run in with the law on the drive in. (An insurance thing but for future liner notes we'll just go with 'a run in with the law'). They'd brought beer. Lots of it. With my supplies running low and my finances even lower I gladly welcomed the help yourself offer. I may have took the piss slightly and can only apologise. They gave me a t-shirt too. Thanks for spoiling me chaps. 

Similar to Leeds Fest last year they've drawn the short straw on stage times. 12.10pm is hard enough at any time. On a Sunday of a festival when everyone is flagging it's a real tester. Heavy Suns are a band more than up to the task though. Thankfully a sizable crowd for that time of day enjoying the raw psychedelic indie blues of Barnsley's finest. They're a band that every time I get a new song through it's another step up. I'd love to see these guys on with The Shimmer Band. That'd be some gig. 


Heavy Suns -  Ross' 1989 Barnsley shirt looking the business
Back to ligging and nicking the band's beer before having a wander over to the Big Top. Jimmy Mac was there. I'd just left him at This Feeling. Cloned I tell you. Got accosted by security again over the can I was swilling from though given it was from a band's rider he didn't really have a leg to stand on. Once I'd explained what a rider was. 

Judas were up next at the Big Top, another band going from strength to strength. Anthemic guitar driven rock with hooks to die for. They've cornered the market on catchy tunes and singalong choruses. Delivered with a drive, quality and passion that many big names have long since forgotten about. John Clancy owns the stage in his own enigmatic style. They really are a class act. I got a little emotional again and left a note on their tent saying how awesome I thought they were. 



Shameless name dropping time again: Peter Crouch recognised me from Leeds Fest. Actually, he probably recognised the hat but we had a brief chat and he agreed to come down for BBR later. 

Back to This Feeling to hang again (I was hanging by this time) with the Heavy Suns boys and to drunkenly ask George Holmes if there were any jobs going before getting down to Hard Rocks for Bang Bang Romeo's first set of the day. Found TV's Chris Walker again (think I may start referring to him as 'Ken from Pontefract'). Crouchy was there as promised along with another sizable crowd basking in the Sunday afternoon sun. A shortened set from the Big Top gig (Cemetery and Beautiful World were dropped) but still mesmerising. It has to be said that BBR have a canon of work extensive enough for two double albums and a full blown 4 hour live rock opera. How they whittle down to an 8 song set I have no idea. I'm guessing the discussions for the track listing on the debut album have been going on long into the night. 


One of the problems with the Hard Rock stage is that it's on the route down to the main stage so you get a lot of people just walking past, which can be demoralising. Also it's a great place to just sit and chill with a beer so the music can just be a background noise. One of the great things about the Hard Rock stage though is that it's on the route to the main stage, plenty of people walking past to grab the collective attention of. Also a lot of people just sit chilling with a beer with the music as background noise, an audience in waiting. All you've got to have is the songs and stage presence to harness all these people into a crowd, dancing and singing and braying for more. 

It goes without saying that happened.

The next five hours are all about This Feeling again. After bemoaning the lack of hammocks and free cocktails back stage at Hard Rock this year we wended our way back up to Jack Rocks in time to catch Paves being magnificent again. Tikz went all Cabbage on us and scaled the heights

Photo courtesy This Feeling


and for final song, 'Take Me While I'm Here', they are joined on stage by a plethora of members of other bands. It's par for the course this weekend.

Photo courtesy This Feeling
Bang Bang Romeo have dressing room access now at This Feeling so more beer, sarnies and phone charging. For some reason after 14 years without an earring in I decided to see if the piercing still worked with one of Charlotte's loops. It did and I looked suitably ludicrous.


Back out front for Liberty Ship, a band I first caught supporting BBR at Doncaster Social, I think nearly 5 years ago, at what I believe was Rich Gartland's first BBR gig. Liberty Ship are a band I somehow keep missing though (they're playing Donny Leopard next week and I'm gonna miss that one too). Thankfully I've caught up a bit and seen them 3 times in the last few weeks. They still look ridiculously young. They have a brand of infectious indie/pop that just blows you away. IOW was by far the best I've seen them with a footnote that a week later at Leeds Wardrobe they were even better. A band truly on fire at the moment. 

Photo courtesy This Feeling
Bang Bang Romeo time again for arguably their most fun set of the weekend. No pressure on this one. They were truly playing to the converted. You could feel the love across the tent for our heroes. Saying that, they didn't relax for one minute. On stage BBR are consummate professionals and give everything, every gig they play. Nothing is left on stage. Inexplicably I threw my hat on stage at one point. I have no idea why. Stars lobbed it back at me. It was a touching moment. Rich, Joel and Ross gave it the proper rock star ending as Adore Me crashed around almost, but never quite, out of control. It looked truly (excuse me) fucking awesome. 

Photo courtesy This Feeling
I'd said way back when the line ups were first announced I wasn't bothered about seeing Rod Stewart unless it was all purely Faces material. One sniff of 'Do Ya Think I'm Sexy' or 'Sailing' and I was gonna be out of there. But of course I was gonna go see him. It was Rod The Mod after all. We had no Chinese, Japanese, Thai meeting point this year. It was a bit of a free for all vague meet near the big wheel kinda thing. Myself and Heavy Suns' Tom Laffey had a wander down and couldn't find anyone but as I made myself feel better by sharing all my nicked beer with Tom, Rod was up on stage nailing it. So much for my Faces only claim. We had a right singalong to 'Baby Jane', 'You Wear It Well', 'Rhythm Of My Heart' and 'The First Cut Is The Deepest'. Then the opening licks of my favourite faces song (And Tom's too it transpired), 'Ooh La La'. We were off. Singing and dancing for all we worth. It was a truly memorable and magnificent moment.



Someone spotted the hat and we ended up with all our compadres having a simply awesome time. 'Do ya Think I'm Sexy' kicked in and of course we all sang like it was the greatest song ever written. 'Stay With Me' meant the music snob in me could justify all this before the mass, arms round shoulders love in of set closer 'Sailing'. It was genuinely an emotional moment. (Somewhat spoiled for Joel as a new fan asked for a photo with him just as Rod was wrapping it up). 


Rod left the stage as fireworks flew, the screen reeled off IOW credits and 'Don't Look Back In Anger' filled the air. The biggest singalong I have ever witnessed.

We all headed back to This Feeling where I bumped into Holly and Rich. Holly was waxing lyrical about a band playing at the Kashmir Cafe tent. Tankus something. 'TANKUS THE HENGE?' I very loudly exclaimed. 'Take me there at once'. Oh god I love Tankus The Henge. A sublime live act if ever there was one. I had no idea they were at IOW this year. I only caught the last 4 songs but it was truly the greatest ending to a festival ever. 

And that was that. Isle Of Wight Festival (finally) done for another year. 50th anniversary next year. Rolling Stones rumoured to be touring the UK in 2018. Just a thought.

Laters.




No comments:

Post a Comment